Those Pesky Webpage and Email Ads

I hate the ads that pop up everywhere each time I'm on the internet.

The worst digital offenders:

1. Emails I receive in my spam or trash folder advertising penis enlargement, Dr. Oz Fatburn, jobs, etc. These are things I never subscribed to. Clearly, the advertisers are using a shotgun approach to see how many suckers they can get to bite.

Screen shot of a page in my daily email trash folder

2. Most web pages have ads on them: along the side, at the bottom, Normally, I just ignore them. However, now the ads deliverers have gotten smarter: They serve up ads that open up when I am on a web page and if I inadvertently roll my mouse over it without even clicking on anything, the ad pops up. Unless I click out of it, I'm forced to watch that ad.

When trying to read a post about Veterans Day, I first get directed to this!
 3. Sometimes, ads will open up without me doing anything at all. They won't close until I click "close" on the X box at the right hand corner. Sometimes, video ads start playing without me doing anything at all. I hear the sound of the video playing, but can't find where it is among everything else on the website. It takes some scrolling up and down to find the ad just so I can shut it down. Sometimes, by clicking to close an ad, I am directed to another ad. Ugh.


4. Ads that scroll down the web page as I scroll down the page trying to read something I am interested in. The ads are large enough to just cover what I am reading, so that even when I scroll down, the damn ad scroll along preventing  me from reading what I want.

I guess websites can only deliver free content if they can host ads that pay them. The sites and the advertisers are getting greedier and smarter, force feeding ads to visitors. I pride myself for generally not getting distracted by ads, but having to spend more and more time closing ads that prevent me from reading what I want, it is becoming harder and harder to ignore the ads. Damn those advertisers!

Comments

Popular Posts