Prince And My College Years

My only possession  of music by Prince

As a fifty some years old person who was college age when "1999",and "Little Red Corvette" came out, of course I listened to Prince's music, sang to it and danced to it.  I was attending an all women Wellesley College at the time, and at every dance party, Prince's music was played.  For a bunch of young, relatively conservative women in a very white established college, we thought the guy dressed too outrageously, his lyrics too provocative, and music videos of his songs were too sexually charged and oh so lascivious. He was black and seemed to be living a life fantastic that will never be our life. Nevertheless, we loved the beat, the forbidden and the heady feeling of abandon exuding from Prince's music. We felt that we were leading the way to end one century and start another, and that we can do anything.


During college, I was involved in the Boston area Big Sister/Big Brother program. My little sister was a 12 year old streetwise and precocious kid from Boston Chinatown. Like every pre-teen, Betty wanted me, her adopted "big sister" to take her to do things that her parents won't or couldn't take her to.  I try to do things with her that I thought was appropriate and "eye opening" for her so she get a sense of the value of education, and a good job, thinking that my time with her will keep her from joining the Chinatown gangs because being in college was so much better.  I invited her to stay at my dorm at Wellesley to inspire her to stay in school and go to college, but I'll never forget the day I brought her to Wellesley, she complained that the idyllic and verdant campus was just too quiet. She was not used to the silence and calm that was not the inner city. Rather than aspire to be at a place like Wellesley, I think the experience might have convinced her that the city is where it's at and where she wanted to be.

Anyway, for one of her birthdays, Betty requested that I take her to see "Purple Rain" when it came out. I remember struggling and trying to decide whether this "R" rated movie with the sex scenes in it was appropriate for a 12 year old. (I think she was 13 by then).  But eager to please her and wanting to see the movie myself, it didn't take much for her to persuade me.  I remember squirming a bit at the sex scenes with Betty next to me, but feeling exhilarated by the music, especially the song "Purple Rain" at the end. I believe that Betty thoroughly enjoyed her little adult outing with me. (The other movie Betty dragged me to take her was "Slumber Party Massacre"!)

Purple Rain Movie Poster


So this memory is the one I have of Prince and his music.

In memory of him who passed away this week.


Comments

Popular Posts