How to Keep From Being Bored While Exercising: Audio Books and TV!

My doctor says that at my age, I need to be mindful of staying healthy by exercising. I have been derelict in my exercise routine most of my adult life. I don't do any sports, and I never got into the habit of working out in a gym. So to get started, I started going for a long walk. During the summer, I try to run a mile every other day. My go to exercise routine is to pedal on my cheapy Exerpeutic  stationary bike I got for $149 on Amazon two years ago (before it started charging taxes!) because it's not as hard on my knees, and I can do it at home anytime.



This month, I told myself that I will try to exercise a little bit every day: pedaling, some sit ups or abs work using my ancient Ab Slide, and some weight training routine using a kettle bell I got for Christmas. My longest exercise streak of about 40 minutes is 6 days. So far so good.


I have to say, exercising is boring. Most of the time I give up my regular exercise routine because for the 40 minutes that I exercise, I'm bored to death. So having something to do during exercising is a good thing. My go to entertainment while pedaling between 30 to 60 minutes is to watch a TV show or movie on Netflix or Acorn TV. Or, I'll listen to an audio book downloaded from the public library catalog. Here are a few of my exercise favorites that will entertain you through hundreds of hours of exercising.

Audio books: (All can be found in the Los Angeles Public Library emedia catalog and downloadable via the Overdrive App.)

Carlos Ruiz Zafon's Barcelona mystery novels.
Dublin Murder Squad series by by Tana Frank.
Commissario Guido Brunetti Venice murder stories by Donna Leon
The Monster of Florence by Douglas Preston.
Kurt Wallender mysteries by Henkel Manning



TV Shows: On subscription Netflix or Acorn TV, or you can probably find them free on YouTube

M*A*S*H* on Netflix (No introduction necessary)
How to Look at A Paintings on Acorn TV, hosted by curator Justin Paton.
Brideshead Revisited on Acorn TV
Boys over Flower on Netflix (Funny Korean Drama)






Comments

Popular Posts