Looking for Erotica but Found Great Literature Instead: Audio Book Review: My Education by Susan Choi

I was on my mobile device searching for an audio book to download from the Los Angeles Public Library. Normally, I'd scroll through books in the "mystery" or "classical literature" categories, but last week, I decided to check out what's in the "erotic literature" category. There are some very titillating titles in this category such as "Their Virgin Hostage" by Shala Black and Lexi Blake, "Seduction of a Highland Lass" by Maya Banks, "Seducting Mr. Knightly" by Maya Rodale, etc. Trust me, it's not beneath me to read such books, and in fact, I have enjoyed such titles. But that day, I decided to check out "My Education" by Susan Choi from the erotic literature section of the Los Angeles Public Library emedia catalog. Perhaps I was intrigued by the Asian American sounding author and wondered what erotic fiction she would write.



As I listened to "My Education", I thought at first, "Hey, this is well written!" Regina, the protagonist was intrigued and attracted to her handsome English professor. I waited for the erotic narration about the seduction scene between teacher and student to begin . . . (the title is "My Education" after all), and when it did, I was surprised that it described Regina's sexual affair with a married woman, the handsome professor's wife!

I suppose the description of the bisexual/lesbian affair was erotic, but I was mostly struck by how emotionally gripping the book is. Regina's remembrance of the heady love affair she pursued with an older women, the betrayal, and ultimate break up was reflected upon with heartbreaking hindsight after the passing of time. Her attempt fourteen year later to revisit, confront, seek emotional finality and make amends with people who may have been hurt along the way, packed a bittersweet but emotional punch. I was left feeling a sense of melancholy for Regina's loss of her great love, but comforted and exulted by her self discovery and courage to move on as a grounded adult who finds space, energy and grace to embark on the next phase of her life.

Sometimes, accidental discovery of something great is the most satisfying discovery of all. I had no preconception of what the novel is about. I later found out that rather than writing smut, Susan Choi is an Yale University educated and acclaimed novelist who is a Pulitzer Prize finalist for her book American Woman, and a PEN/Faulkner finalist for her novel A Person of Interest. My Education received the Lambda Literary Award for Bisexual Literature.  Shame on me for not knowing anything about Ms. Choi before now, and very glad that I discovered this great writer while looking for erotica.

Susan Choi

Comments

Popular Posts