DWP Came Through! My Rebate Check Came In the Mail

Two and a half months after I finished the conversion of my front lawn into a drought tolerant garden and submitted my photos of the conversion to the Metropolitan Water District, the eagerly anticipated check came in the mail!  For about 1357 square feet of lawn conversion, I got a rebate of $2.00 per square foot for a total of $2714, and a chock full of good feeling that I did my part to help out with the water conservation effort that is needed in California.

The check doesn't nearly cover the total amount of money I ended up paying to landscape the yard, build planters, knocking out the front wall of the house to install a knock out gorgeous sliding door that opens to the deck. However, the satisfaction I am getting with all the work is well worth the effort, and the check certainly helped.  The garden is totally inviting and usable now. I love sitting on my deck or in the pebble pit in the yard with a cup of coffee and enjoying the humming birds, bees and butterflies that are now attracted to the garden. I love seeing my little patch of vegetable garden bursting with collard greens, lettuce, chives, cilantro, mint and tomatoes. The front yard location is the sunniest of all the areas around my house and have no squirrels or raccoons eating my crop. I've been harvesting a little bit of this and that from my garden almost every day now.


Inside the house, with the addition of the sliding door in the living room, the light quality is so much better. I can sit on my sofa and look out straight into my new garden.  The accessible outdoor space feels as if I've gained an extra room in my little house. The satisfaction I get is immense. I guess good design and thinking out of the traditional box house and grassy lawn is worth the time and proves rewarding. I wouldn't have undergone all this work if not for the prospect of the DWP rebate check. Kudos to this program.

Comments

Popular Posts